The Catacombs of San Gaudioso
DOBEDOO – The Catacombs of San Gaudioso structure was born on the ruins of a pre-existing Greco-Roman necropolis, between the 4th and 5th centuries: according to tradition, in Sanità valley (now Rione Sanità), then uninhabited, had found Saint Gaudioso, a bishop of North Africa, buried shipwrecked in Naples and lived here until his death after having founded a monastery and earned a reputation for holiness. Its burial took place between 451 and 453 and the place, although it also housed the tomb of another bishop, St. Nostriano, became the object of veneration towards him and known since then by his name.
Only around 1500, starting from the village, which was the terminal part of the Sanità valley (the legend attributes some miraculous healings to the presence of the Christian catacombs), the urbanization of the district began. In the following century, with the construction of the Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità, exactly above the ancient church or chapel of San Gaudioso, the underground cemetery was “modernized” with profound alterations of its original structure and the destruction of some parts of it. Following the plague epidemic of 1656, the vast tuff quarries inside the valley became a large open-air cemetery.
In recent years, with a view to a re-evaluation of the Rione Sanità, the Catacombs of San Gennaro were first restored, and then continued in the Catacombs of San Gaudioso with the restoration of the Byzantine Madonna and the main ambulatory.
Catacombs of San Gaudioso
The entrance is from the Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità, in Piazza Sanità, 14.
Monday to Sunday from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm (last admission at 1.00 pm)
Full € 9.00
Under 18 € 5.00
Students / Over 65 / Law Enforcement 6,00 €
Under 6 Free
Unlike Skilled Free
Companion € 6.00
Groups (min 20 participants) from € 6.00
Schools € 4.00
How to get there
Line 1 to Piazza Cavour, 10 minutes on foot